Roulette is one of the most popular online casino games among players. If you play at a brick-and-mortar casino, it’s also quite a sight when you walk in as it creates a fun atmosphere. This iconic casino table game has different variations, which add to the excitement of playing it at a no deposit mobile casino with free spins on offer.
French roulette gained popularity in the years following the French Revolution. In this article, we will review the French variation and see what all the buzz is about.
What is French roulette?
Did you know that roulette was invented in France? It seems only right to play French roulette and see what this immersive roulette variation is all about. The best part about this variant is probably the house edge, as it is the lowest of all the roulette games. It is also played on a unique table layout which sets it apart from European roulette and American roulette. It is the game of choice for many casino players around the world. As with all roulette variations, this casino game is based on a wheel, ball and coloured numbers. You’ll find that the numbered slots and colours on the wheel are echoed on the table.
How to play French Roulette
The goal of this casino game is to predict the number or colour the white ball will land on once the spinning wheel comes to a stop. The game is played on the standard European wheel, which contains 37 divisions with numbers from zero to 36. The numbers from one to 36 are alternately coloured in red and black, while the zero is green. If you’re familiar with the other roulette variants, you will know that the American roulette variation has both a single zero and a double zero on the roulette table, whereas the French table only has a single zero.
There is a range of bets that can be placed and, of course, each bet has a different level of risk and reward. The best wager for you will take into account the size of your bankroll and how lucky you’re feeling. Once all bets are placed on the table, the dealer sets the roulette wheel spinning in one direction and the ball in the opposite direction. If the ball lands in the pocket of the number you placed your bet on, you will receive the applicable payout.
There are two sections, including bets on individual numbers and group bets on this roulette table. In this French variation, you can take advantage of two main categories of bets, inside and outside bets. All the inside bets are made on a single number, adjacent numbers, or small groups of numbers. When it comes to the outside bets, you can place bets on larger groups of numbers. You will see that the French roulette table is red with no black and words are written in French.
Here are some roulette glossary terms that you should familiarise yourself with for the next time you play:
- Pair: even numbers
- Impair: odd numbers
- Manque: the low numbers 1-18
- Passe: the high numbers 19-36
- P-12 (Premiere 12): the first dozen (1-12)
- M-12 (Moyenne 12): the middle dozen (13-24)
- D-12 (Derniere 12): the laser dozen (25-36)
French roulette specific bets
There are extra bets in the French format of roulette that you can make. Let’s take a look at what these bets mean.
- Voisins du Zéro (Neighbours of Zero): This is a bet placed on the 17 numbers that surround zero on the roulette wheel: 0, 2, 3, 4, 7, 12, 15, 18, 19, 21, 22, 25, 26, 28, 29, 32 and 35.
- Le Tiers du Cylindre (Third of the Wheel): Bets placed on the 12 numbers located on the opposite side of the wheel from zero: 5, 8, 10, 11, 13, 16, 23, 24, 26, 27, 30 and 33.
- Orphelins (Orphans): This regards a bet placed on the eight remaining roulette numbers that are not part of the Voisins or the Tiers: 1, 6, 9, 14, 17, 20, 31 and 34.
- Finales en Plein: Bets placed on all numbers ending in a particular digit. For example, Finales en Plein 8 would include bets on 8, 18, and 28.
- Finales a Cheval: Bets placed on numbers ending with two digits. For example, Finales a Cheval 3/4 would include bets on 3, 4, 13, 14, 23, 24, 33 and 34.
Some tips that you can learn
Roulette differs from games such as poker and blackjack, where there is an element of skill required. When it comes to roulette, no strategy can increase your chance of winning on individual bets since it is simply a game of chance. However, there are some tips that you can use when you play this roulette variation. Of course, you are always encouraged to bet within your bankroll limits so that you don’t end up chasing your losses.
Playing at a free bonus, no deposit casino in the UK, such as The Phone Casino, will provide you with some great incentives to play this French variant of roulette. If you’re still getting the hang of the game, you can place bets on the above mentioned unique bets to the French variation. By placing bets via the Voisins du Zero, Le Tiers du Cylindre and Orphelins, you can cover a lot of numbers which will give you a reasonable chance of winning a return.
Here are more tips to help with your gameplay:
- Play with a clear head
- Balance outside and inside bets
- Go for a tried-and-tested betting strategy
- Familiarise yourself with the French terminology
- It will benefit you to learn the betting odds and payouts
Play live roulette online at The Phone Casino
At The Phone Casino, you can play a variety of roulette games. We have the best online casino games, including online slots, live roulette, blackjack and more. Register with us and receive 100 free spins daily. That’s right! Our no deposit mobile casino offers free spins daily when you sign up. So, if you’re looking to play the best casino games with some free spins without placing a deposit, make your way to The Phone Casino.