/If you’re looking for the most glamorous casino game around, you’ll find all the action you crave at the roulette table. This game of chance is one of the easiest to learn, though roulette can be surprisingly complex when it comes to placing your bets.
One of the compelling things about taking the wheel for a spin is that there are bets to suit all styles of play. So whether you prefer to play it cool and smooth or you like plenty of hot high-risk action, there’s a roulette bet for you.
Outside Bets – Roulette
Best for new players, conservative and casual players and those who prefer to enjoy a long and relaxing playing session. Outside bets can be found on the area of the table outside the number field and they’re usually considered to be safe bets because they increase your odds of winning with low risk.
Outside bets allow the player to bet on large groups of numbers which means the returns are lower than the high risk inside bets. If you’re a new player they’re a great way to get a feel for the game without blitzing your bankroll.
Five bets are considered to be outside bets
Take a look at the table and you’ll see the numbers are laid out in three columns of twelve, alternating red and black in a way that mimics the wheel layout. The green zero or double zero runs across the top of all three columns.
To bet on one or all three columns, place your wager directly under the column or columns you’re betting on.
It’s a good idea to combine a column bet with another outside bet like odds/evens or red/black. For example, the centre column has more blacks and the outer column has more reds so you can boost your odds of a win by betting on these columns plus a red/black bet.
Column Bets Pay 2:1
- Look at the table and you’ll find three groups of 12 numbers. A bet on any of these is known as a dozens bet and will payout at 2:1.
- One of the simplest bets in roulette is to bet on all the black or all the red colours. This bet pays 1:1.
- Similar to the colours bet, opt to cover all the even numbers or all the odd one with a single bet. Pays out at 1:1.
- Cover all the numbers from 1-18 or 19-36 with a single bet. The return is 1:1.
Best for risk-takers, high rollers and those who like plenty of excitement when they play.
If you love the feel of the adrenaline pumping as the ball flies around the wheel, you’ll prefer the inside bets. These are harder to land but promise much higher rewards. The best of the best is a winning straight up bet when the ball lands on your chosen number and pays out 35 times your bet. The chances of this happening are less than 3% in European and American roulette.
The following five bets are the inside bets:
- Bet your stake on the number of your choice and enjoy a 35:1 payout if it comes up.
- Bet on any two adjacent numbers and enjoy a payout of 17:1 if you’re successful.
- This is a three-number bet where you’ll bet on a row of numbers like 1-3 or 13-15. Get lucky and enjoy an 11:1 return.
- Cover any four numbers with one bet by placing your chip at the point where they meet. Pays out at 8:1.
- Cover two streets and bet on six numbers with one chip. This pays out at 5:1.
Payouts made simple
What you need to bear in mind is that the smaller the amount of numbers you bet on, the bigger the potential payout:
- Straight-up bet – one number – pays 35:1
- Split bet – two numbers – pays 17:1
- Street bet – three numbers – pays 11:1
- Corner bet – four numbers – pays 8:1
- Line bet – six numbers – pays 5:1
- Column/Dozens bet – twelve numbers – pays 2:1
- Red/black, evens/odds, high/low – eighteen numbers – pays 1:1
Now you should have all the information you need to find the Online Roulette bets that suit your playing style and will boost your bankroll.