For many years, the only way to play poker was to join a game with other people. And while that’s still possible, you can now enjoy a game that uses poker as a foundation but that you can play on your own. This great alternative is video poker. This exciting take on traditional poker is easy to pick up and play, both for poker novices and experts alike. But before you dive into a game at The Phone Casino, your favourite mobile casino with no deposit and with free daily spins, let’s learn more about this game and how poker hands work when you play.
What is video poker?
At a glance, you may easily mistake video poker for some type of slot machine. While video poker is a digital casino game that may look similar to slots, the objective and gameplay mechanics are very different. The aim in video slots is to create a specific combination of cards using five that you are dealt, just like five-card poker. However, since you’re not playing against other people, you don’t have to get a stronger combination of cards than another player. All you have to do is get a specific combination that is listed on the game’s paytable, and you’ll receive a payout.
How a typical game of video poker plays out
But how do you build a winning hand so you can get your hands on a win? To answer that question, we have to start at the beginning of a game.
The game starts with you making a wager. Once you are happy with the amount that you’ve bet, you can click on the deal button to receive five random cards. You then decide if you want to discard any cards and, if you do, which cards you want to discard. If you decide you want to discard your entire hand, you can do so and will receive a completely new hand. The next round begins, you receive your new cards from what remains in the virtual deck, and any winning hand combinations are paid out based on the amount that you wagered.
This is how a typical game of video poker plays out. It is a two-round game where a player attempts to make the strongest hand possible in order to win one of the payouts listed on the paytable.
Understanding poker hands in video poker
With that in mind, what are the different winning hands, and how do they work? Here’s a breakdown of the winning video poker hands, from weakest with the lowest value payout to strongest with the highest value payout, that you’ll come across in most games:
- Pair: It’s important to note that there are video poker games that don’t include this as a winning combination, but there are some that will payout for a pair of Jacks or higher. It’s important to check with the particular version of video poker that you’re playing by reviewing the help files and paytables.
- Two pairs: A hand with any combination of two pairs. For example, a pair of ones and a pair of twos.
- Three of a kind: A hand with three of the same card. For example, three Queens.
- Straight: A hand with five consecutive cards that are from different suits. For example, an eight, nine, and 10 of hearts, a Jack of diamonds, and a Queen of spades.
- Flush: A hand with five non-consecutive cards from the same suit. For example, a three, five, nine, Queen, and King of hearts.
- Full house: A hand with three of a kind and a pair. For example, three fives and two Kings.
- Four of a kind: A hand with four cards that are of the same value. For example, four 10s.
- Straight flush: A hand that consists of five consecutive cards from the same suit but without an Ace, King, Queen, or Jack.
- Royal Flush: A hand that consists of five consecutive cards from the same suit. It specifically consists of an Ace, King, Queen, Jack, and 10.
This breakdown of the different winning combinations will help you get started on your video poker journey, but remember that different versions of video poker may not have all these hands and that payouts will differ from game to game.
Enjoy playing video poker
If you’re ready to test out your newfound knowledge, why not give these exciting video poker games at the best free bonus no deposit casino, The Phone Casino, a try:
- Crazy 4 Poker
- I Luv Suits
- Jacks or Better
- Jacks or Better: Double or Nothing
- Joker Poker
- Three Card Poker
Enjoy these exciting video poker games and more
If you’re looking to have a great time playing video poker games and more at one of the best mobile casinos in the UK, all you need to do is sign up at The Phone Casino. At our no deposit mobile casino, you don’t only get exciting video poker games, but also the best online slots, table games, Slingo and a whole lot more (including 100 free spins on your favourite online slots)!
Register at The Phone Casino to join in the action!