If you’re new to the world of poker but want to start by playing online, you may be confused about the difference between online poker and video poker. Don’t worry. We’re here to explain the difference, how to play online poker, how to play video poker and the benefits of each, so that you can choose the version that suits you the best.
As you may have discovered, just as there are many types of online slots in the UK, there are many different types of poker, the most popular of which is online poker.
What is online poker?
Online poker is the digital version of poker that you play at traditional casinos. It offers many of the poker variants you’d find at brick-and-mortar gambling locations, such as Texas Hold’em, Seven Card Stud, Omaha, 5-Card Draw and many more.
How to play online poker
As we’ve pointed out, there are many variants of online poker, with subtle differences between them. To keep things simple, we’ll look at the most popular version of online poker, Texas Hold’em, and explain how it works.
Texas Hold’em is a community card variant of poker. This means that each player has their own hand that they must combine with a number of community cards in order to make the strongest hand possible. This differs from other variants of poker in which players are dealt a hand and then discard and draw new cards in order to build a strong hand.
In Texas Hold’em, each player is dealt two cards. These are known as hole cards. After each player has received their cards, the first round of betting, which is known as the preflop, takes place, with each player deciding to check, raise or fold.
Once the first round of betting is complete, the first three community cards are dealt in the centre of the table. This is known as the flop and starts the second round of betting.
Once the second round of betting is complete, another community card is dealt in the centre of the table. This is known as the turn, or fourth street, and starts the third round of betting.
Once the third round of betting is complete, the final community card is dealt in the centre of the table. This is known as the river, or fifth street, and starts the fourth round of betting.
If there are still two players left at this point in the game, the showdown begins with each player revealing their hand to decide a winner.
After the pot is claimed, a new hand is dealt to each player who can afford the buy-in.
The benefits of online poker
There are many benefits to online poker. These include:
- You can play any time you want: Online poker is extremely convenient. If you want to play a game of poker online, you just need to log on and find a table. There are always games taking place online, so it’s easy to do and thanks to modern technology, you can play from virtually anywhere as long as you have an internet connection and a mobile device such as a mobile phone, laptop or tablet.
- You can play more hands than in real-life poker: Not only is online poker faster than traditional in-person poker, but you can also play at multiple tables at the same time, allowing you to play more hands within a certain period of time. Yes, you can try multi-tabling in real life as well, but needless to say, it’s much easier to click between tables than it is to literally get up and move between them.
- Helping you develop various skills: Poker may be influenced by luck, but there are undoubtedly certain skills you can develop in order to improve your chances of winning. These skills include emotional control, situation analysis, financial management as well as the ability to concentrate.
Video poker is based on traditional poker, but playing it is very different from playing both offline and online poker.
What is video poker?
Video poker is a single-player take on the classic poker experience. That’s right; instead of playing against other players, you are playing against the game itself. The overall goal remains the same though, with players aiming to put together the strongest hand they possibly can.
In the past, you could play video poker in casinos on a video poker machine, but today you can also play video poker online. The same titles that you can find in a brick-and-mortar casino are easily available at your favourite online casino website.
How to play video poker
There are many different versions of video poker that all play out slightly differently. However, the most popular version of video poker is based on five-card draw. In most video poker games, once you’ve placed your bet, you’ll be dealt five cards. You then decide which cards to keep and which to discard.
Once you’ve discarded your chosen cards, you are dealt the same number of new cards. If you have a hand that matches the pay table, you can instantly collect your prize. If not, you can place another bet to start a new round.
The benefits of video poker
There are many benefits to playing video poker, some of which include:
- It’s a great version of poker to play on your own: Sometimes you want to play poker but you don’t feel like competing against other players. Video poker offers you a great alternative to play your favourite game without having to worry about other human competition.
- It has an excellent return to player: Many video poker titles have a return to player (RTP) that far exceeds that of many other games. Many video poker titles are very close to 100%, and some even offer betting options where the RTP exceeds 100%!
- It’s a super fast take on poker: When you remove all the other players from the game, the only thing that slows a hand down is the time you take to make a decision. This makes it a really fast-paced option for those who enjoy their poker hands thick and fast, or those who just don’t have a lot of time to play.
- You know exactly what you’ll win depending on what you wager: Unlike regular poker where the pot can vary wildly, in video poker you know exactly what you’re going to get for each hand depending on your bet.
- Easier bankroll management: Unlike regular poker where you’ll sometimes have to go head-to-head with other players in order to win a pot, you know exactly what you’re betting each time you play a hand of video poker. This makes bankroll management more predictable, and therefore easier.
Enjoy exciting live dealer video and poker games at The Phone Casino
If you want to try exciting live dealer and video poker games, we have a range of exciting titles for you to try out at The Phone Casino. For those who want to bring the brick-and-mortar casino experience into their homes, we have live dealer games such as 3 Card Poker, Casino Hold’em and Ultimate Hold’em. However, if you just want to enjoy some poker and betting on your own, you can see what luck has in store for you with video poker games such as Deuces Wild, I Luv Suits, Mississippi Stud and more!
And if you’re in the mood for a bit more than just poker, you can also find some of the best blackjack, roulette and online slots in the UK at our mobile casino!
Register at The Phone Casino and put your poker skills to the test, or put your feet up, relax and see what luck has in store for you with many of our other games of chance.